Monday, January 23, 2006

Priceless

In the process of cleaning up some of the source code for one of the projects I manage, I came across the following comments:
MAB 08-05-2004: Who wrote this routine? When did they do it? Who should I call if I have questions about it? It's worth it to have a good header here. It should helps to set context, it should identify the author (hero or culprit!), including contact information, so that anyone who has questions can call or email. It's useful to have the date noted, and a brief statement of intention. On the other hand, this isn't meant to be busy work; it's meant to make maintenance easier--so don't go overboard.

One other good reason to put your name on it: take credit! This is your craft
and then a little further down:
#include "xxxMsg.h" // xxx messages

MAB 08-05-2004: With respect to the comment above, I gathered that from the filename. I think I need either more or less here. For one thing, xxxMsg.h is automatically generated from the .mc file. That might be interesting information. Another thing is that xxxMsg.h should NOT be added to source control, because it's auto-generated. Alternatively, don't bother with a comment at all.

and then yet again:
MAB 08-05-2004: Defining a keyword?? This seems problemmatic [sic], in principle if not in practice. Is this a common idiom?
So, what does this tell us? Well, for starters it sounds like MAB wasn't very happy about having to work on this particular file and was doing some serious ranting. I can rant about things as well, such as the benefit of good, pertinent code comments. I've maintained enough code (both someone else's code and my own) that I understand the value of good comments.

However, to paraphrase "Marry Poppins"...
I've always said that there is nothing like a good comment. And that was nothing like a good comment.
- Bert and Uncle Albert "Mary Poppins"
Honestly, those comments weren't any better than not having them there in the first place. While the points made by MAB are, for the most part, valid there are much better ways to make them.

One good reason to not put your name on it: Your bad comments living on for posterity.
No comments at all: 0 minutes
Ranting about the lack of comments: 10 minutes
Laughing at the rants years later: priceless

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home